Built in 1828, the Brick Tavern Museum is the oldest brick structure in Schuyler County.  It was built as a tavern on the stagecoach route and has also been a Select School for Boys, a boarding house and a home to Dr. Charles D. Clawson, who ran the nearby Bethesda Sanitarium.  After Dr. Clawson’s death, the building continued as a family home until his grandson, the late Charles Lattin, sold it to the Society in 1974.

Left: The Brick Tavern Museum in 1900. Right The Brick Tavern Museum today.

Museum Exhibits

First Floor

Victorian Parlor – Furniture, china, paintings 
Music in the Foyer – Instruments, piano forte
Research  Library – Genealogy, local history 
Gallery – Special changing exhibits
Gift Shop – Books, handcrafted items

Second Floor

Native American – Artifacts, arrowheads
Veterans – World War II to current uniforms, medals
Medical – Jane Delano of American Red Cross Nursing Service, Dr. Clawson
Industry – Salt, railroads, canals
Toy Room – Games, dolls, toys
Clothing – Men and women’s clothing, foot wear
Watkins Glen State Park – vintage souvenirs 
Fiber Arts – Spinning, weaving, sewing, quilts

The Research Library

The Brick Tavern Museum’s Research Library is open for public use during museum hours. ​Researchers are required to make an appointment to use the library. 

Please call the Museum at 607-535-9741 or email director@schuylerhistory.org to reserve time in the library.





$5/hour donation


25 cents/item

Some materials in the Research Library and Museum’s collections include:

  • Vintage maps
  • County and town information
  • Area yearbooks
  • New York State and general local history books​
  • Voter registration books
  • Photo albums
  • Diaries
  • Store ledgers
  • Family genealogy
  • Family history files donated by family members
  • Marriage, birth and death listings
  • Cemetery listings
  • Civil War muster rolls and medical documents

Blog at WordPress.com.